When I’m deer hunting, 99% of the time it is from a saddle up in a tree. When I am in a blind, the other 1% of the time, it is typically if someone is filming with me, or if I’m out with a new hunter.
When turkey hunting, though, I am primarily in a blind. I have grand aspirations to improve my run and gun game and learn to hunt from stumps and trees, but for now I enjoy the comfort of the blind—especially at 6 in the morning.
My previous hunting blind was a Sniper brand blind. It was a rather small pop up I had inherited. Last November I had left it set up overnight, and the next day about 10 inches of snow had fallen. Both roof supports had snapped under the pressure.
So, last week I decided to purchase a new pop up blind. After quite a bit of research looking at Ameristep, Summit, Rhino, and several other brands, the clear frontrunner was the Double Bull series of blinds by Primos.
Primos has been pushing their even newer Double Bull Surround View models with 270- and 360-degree fields of view. Those models feature one-way netting around most of the blind. While the increased field of view would be nice, I had concerns about water and wind getting in and my scent getting out (when deer hunting). Thus, I chose to go with the more traditional Primos Double Bull Deluxe Go Ground Blind.
Primos includes a lifetime warranty, and the price reflects that, so it is more expensive relative to other blinds. The model I decided on, the Deluxe Go Ground Blind, retails for $400. Granted, the price is considerable. However, I try to buy quality gear that will hold up to years of heavy use and variable weather as much as possible. The lifetime warranty and reputation for fast and accommodating customer service are factors that helped me decide.
Like most modern blinds, it does feature a hub system. This works by having you pop the wall and ceiling panels into place. This can be tricky the first time, so you will want to practice once or twice before hitting the woods. I was able to have the blind assembled in 2 minutes and would have no issue doing it in the low light of an early morning. The blind includes 4 stakes to drive it in which include a triangle tab on the side so it can be done without a hammer.
The blind is roomy. The ceiling height is 5’10” at the peak. At 5’11” tall myself, I appreciate being able to stand up (barely stooping) if I need to take off a sweatshirt or stretch from time to time. The floor space is 5′ x 5′, which is big enough to fit 2 adult hunters comfortably. Hub to Hub distance in the walls is 6’5″ so its roomier than a true 5′ x 5′. The blind does weigh 27 lbs in its included pack—it’s not light, but I chose to get a heavier blind with more space. The pack system does include padded shoulder straps, which is awesome.
Entering and exiting the blind is extremely convenient. One of the blind’s back corners has a wide “silent open” system. That means no noisy zippers, and you can easily enter with your pack on. With my old blind, I would have to wiggle in and then pull my gear in behind me because of the extremely narrow zippered entrance.
The front of the blind offers a 180-degree field of view with a large “silent slide” window that opens. It is backed by a “shoot through” camo netting that can be left up or lowered. The rear of the blind features several smaller windows with camo netting that all open silently as well.
The fabric of the blind is thicker than that of other blinds I have used. It is soft and reminiscent of a Cordura backpack material. Rather than the Nylon used in many blinds, this material is quiet if you brush against it. I would anticipate rain not making too much noise on it either. Having set up the blind for the first time today, I am very happy with my decision to purchase it. Of course, an early morning out in the field will be the real test.