Michigan is a beautiful state, with its stunning natural scenery and abundance of outdoor activities. Wintertime can be a great time to visit Michigan and go RV camping, as long as you’re prepared for the colder weather. Here are five tips to help you have a successful and enjoyable RV camping trip in Michigan during the winter:
- Choose the right RV: Not all RVs are designed for cold-weather camping, so it’s important to choose one that is well-insulated and equipped with features such as a furnace and dual-pane windows. This will help keep you warm and comfortable during your trip.
- Dress in layers: The key to staying warm in cold weather is dressing in layers. Start with a base layer of moisture-wicking material, such as wool or synthetic fabrics, to keep you dry and warm. Add a middle layer of insulating material, such as fleece or down, for added warmth, and top it off with an outer layer that is wind- and water-resistant to protect you from the elements.
- Use a heated water hose: One of the challenges of winter RV camping is keeping your water supply from freezing. A heated water hose can help prevent this by keeping the water flowing, even in sub-zero temperatures.
- Invest in a good quality portable generator: In the wintertime, you may need to use your RV’s furnace and other electrical appliances more frequently to stay warm. A portable generator can provide an extra source of power to help you do this without running down your RV’s battery.
- Don’t forget to winterize your RV: Before setting out on your winter RV camping trip, be sure to winterize your RV to protect it from freezing temperatures and other winter weather hazards. This typically involves adding antifreeze to your RV’s water system, as well as covering or storing exposed pipes and other vulnerable areas.
The youtube channel RV Lifestyle has a great video going over RV camping in upper Michigan during the winter.